Courtney R. Baker, Ph. D. is a Los Angeles-based scholar available to consult on media projects at various stages of development. She is also an experienced advisor of academic curricular revision. She is a credentialed scholar of race and gender (certificate in graduate studies in African & African American Studies from Duke University; B.A. cum laude in Women’s Studies from Harvard University) who regularly teaches and advises college-aged and post-graduate students in these fields. You can watch her discuss her scholarly work by viewing her talk, “Black Humanity, Visible Violence and Liberation Aesthetics," which was part of the Duke Department of African & African American Studies 50th anniversary 2019/2020 speaker series. She co-founded the program in Black Studies at Occidental College in 2016 where she served as its inaugural chair and headed the revision of the curriculum in African Studies at Connecticut College in 2014 where she also served as program chair.
She can provide talking-head commentary, assess historical accuracy, and advise on sensitive cultural representations and narratives.
Prior consulting work includes the forthcoming art exhibition A Terrain of Struggle, curated by Janet Dees, slated to open at the Block Museum in Chicago in January 2022; the educational children's program, Living Legends Connection, a series intended to inform and inspire youth by teaching them about social justice activists and movements; and a forthcoming book on lynching under contract with Yale University Press by a Princeton postdoctoral fellow.
Areas of Expertise:
- African American and Black representation
- Gender and sexuality representation
- Mainstream, independent, and experimental film criticism
- Fine art criticism
- Experienced public speaker
- Experienced focus-retreat director
- Experienced literary editor (Cartwheel Books/Scholastic Inc., independent)
- Experienced film series coordinator (John Hope Franklin Center at Duke University)
- Event organizing (conferences, symposia, reading groups)
- Published author in a variety of fields (academic books, children’s books, art reviews, blog entries, popular essays)
For fees and availability, use the form below or send an email to humaneinsight at yahoo dot com.